Did Eagles Slam Door Shut on Return of Tremendous Bowl Champion?





Chris Long





Getty


Chris Lengthy retired from the Eagles after the 2018 season.





One of many forgotten storylines of the Eagles’ offseason in 2019 was the seek for a fourth edge rusher.

Philadelphia had a dire want for an additional defensive finish to pair with Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry and Derek Barnett. Connor Barwin was lobbying to fill that function nevertheless it by no means got here to fruition. The Eagles finally went into the common season with Josh Sweat and Daeshon Corridor on the roster. One other identify that stored arising final 12 months was Chris Lengthy. It appeared to only be wishful pondering from followers however Lengthy not too long ago indicated that he was “fairly shut” to a return in 2019.

Lengthy, who introduced his retirement from the NFL final Might, was a visitor on the Sports activities Illustrated Media Podcast with Jimmy Traina and shared an fascinating nugget about his need to make a comeback. The 35-year-old admitted the Eagles had proven curiosity in 2019 and he had been coaching on turf for “perhaps two-and-a-half weeks.” In the long run, it simply didn’t work out.

“I used to be near coming again this 12 months (2019) in Philly. I don’t assume I wanted that a lot time in any respect,” Lengthy informed Traina. “I skilled a bit bit, however I used to be perhaps two-and-a-half weeks on the sphere coaching and I felt nice, like I might simply run out the tunnel and play.”

How shut was Lengthy to returning for the squad he helped win a Tremendous Bowl for? Effectively, he muted the remainder of the dialog and informed Traina that he would inform him the true cause “offline.”

“I used to be fairly shut,” Lengthy mentioned, through 97.three ESPN. “However I can’t say why precisely, nevertheless it simply didn’t work out, however I'll let you know that I used to be prepared.”

Comply with the Heavy on Eagles Fb web page for the newest breaking information, rumors and content material!


Casey Toohill Emerges as New Edge Rusher in Philly

The Eagles didn’t use a excessive draft choose to assist their pass-rushing deficiency, however they did make investments one thing. The crew chosen hybrid linebacker Casey Toohill within the seventh spherical (233rd general) within the hope that he can turn into an edge rusher.

Toohill is a promising younger prospect. He completed with 14 profession sacks at Stanford, together with eight sacks throughout his senior season together with 11.5 tackles for loss and 57 complete tackles. Thought of uncooked by many NFL scouts, he brings intriguing measurement (6-foot-4, 250 kilos) and pace (4.62 seconds within the 40). He’s a developmental participant with room for development.

“I believe you’re going to get an athletic, versatile participant that can give it his all each play,” Toohill informed reporters. “I need to simply are available in, work exhausting, and be relentless. I believe whether or not or not followers have watched me, I simply need to are available in and be taught and assist the crew win in any approach attainable.”

Higher but, Toohill has expertise enjoying in a pass-rushing function in faculty. He feels assured about being a down rusher within the NFL. Maybe he can evolve into Lengthy’s function sometime for the Eagles.

“I assume the one factor to make clear with that's that at Stanford I put my hand within the floor a good quantity as nicely, so I’m not utterly uncomfortable with that in any respect,” Toohill mentioned. “However I believe enjoying outdoors linebacker is a bit bit totally different from D-end. Totally different focus. New schemes. There are changes with that and the pace of the NFL.”



READ NEXT: Browns High Decide Jedrick Wills Reveals New Jersey Quantity

Comply with the Heavy on Eagles Fb web page for the newest breaking information, rumors and content material!







Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post