Andy Dalton Reiterates Purpose of Serving to Cowboys QB Prescott ‘As A lot as I Can’





Andy Dalton





Getty


Andy Dalton





Dak Prescott has but to touch upon the three-time Professional Bowler now peering over his shoulder. However the peering three-time Professional Bowler has. Twice.

After showing on Adam Schefter’s podcast on Monday, new Dallas Cowboys quarterback Andy Dalton held an introductory convention name with reporters on Wednesday, throughout which he reaffirmed his nonthreatening standing to the staff’s incumbent signal-caller.

His aim: “Assist Dak as a lot as I can” earlier than retesting the open market in 2021.

“Clearly, I convey loads of expertise. … Hopefully, this units me up for the long run,” mentioned Dalton, who gained 70 regular-season video games over his nine-year tenure with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Dalton, 32, has been across the NFL block lengthy sufficient to know the rating. He’s on a highly-incentivized one-year pact during which he’s assured “simply” $three million. The 26-year-old he’s backing up is preventing for, and certain will obtain, a record-setting contract coming off a profession season.

The Cowboys, who fancy themselves Tremendous Bowl contenders, are hoping (if secretly) that Dalton by no means sees the sphere in 2020. And Dalton, he claims, isn’t planning on it, both, even with an unlockable $four million on the road.

“Dak has performed rather well. I knew the state of affairs I used to be coming into. … Dak is the starter on this staff. If for some cause he was to go down I can step in and assist this staff,” he mentioned, per the Dallas Morning Information.

A heady particular person on and off the sphere, Dalton echoed what he initially advised Schefter, which in itself was refreshing honesty in an age of front-facing deceit. The TCU alumnus and Dallas resident was drawn to the Cowboys as a part of his “massive image plan” — rehab his inventory now, and capitalize later.

“After weighing all the pieces, I felt like going to Dallas was going to be the suitable match for me this yr,” he mentioned to Schefter, through The Athletic. “I’m enthusiastic about it. I believe it’s going to be an ideal alternative. … I wished to affix a high-class group and a staff that’s able to win, and be with Mike McCarthy, along with his historical past with quarterbacks, it offers me an opportunity to return to a brand new place, an opportunity to be taught, assist Dak out any manner I can, and simply be an asset for this staff. Clearly, I convey loads of expertise and may convey quite a bit to the desk, so I’m right here to assist this staff win and assist in any manner I can. … This staff is able to win. I felt prefer it was the most effective alternative for this yr and hopefully it should set me up for my future. This was an enormous image plan. … I really feel like I've loads of years left (within the NFL). I really feel like there's loads of good soccer left for me.”

The Cowboys, although, have their very own underlying motive. Not solely is Dalton a monumental improve on former backup Cooper Rush, who was waived Monday, however his arrival buys again some leverage from Prescott amid slow-rolling negotiations towards a megadeal.

Name it QB insurance coverage — a wise play by Jerry and Stephen Jones.

And except your title is Cooper Rush, it’s a uncommon win-win for all events, Prescott included.

Comply with the Heavy on Cowboys Fb web page for the most recent breaking information, rumors and content material!


Dalton Confirms Communication with Dak

Clearly, Prescott and his new backup aren’t greatest buddies. They aren’t even buddies, from the sounds of issues. Their relationship, Dalton defined, is first within the acquaintance stage, the place they’re nonetheless apparently on a text-only foundation.

However it’s an encouraging signal, the elder statesman establishing a line of communication along with his youthful counterpart.

“I despatched him a textual content, reaching out. That’s been about it. …I simply advised him I’m excited to be right here, and I’m going to assist in any manner that I can,” Dalton mentioned Wednesday, per the Dallas Morning Information.

Dalton added that Prescott responded to his textual content however didn’t specify what was mentioned. Once more, from the sounds of issues, it seems to have been a proper reply.


READ NEXT: Dez Bryant Slams ‘Out of Line’ Cowboys for Signing Andy Dalton, Not Paying Dak


Comply with Zack Kelberman on Twitter: @KelbermanNFL







Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post